Ethel surveys the Cheltenham Badlands
Here we are, already August(!!) and if you’re anything like me, the summer has been flying by without you striking more than one thing off of your summer fun list. The good news is that we have at least one more month to enjoy the heat and take advantage of everything that the city has to offer. While I plan on eating my way through Kensington (churro ice cream cones?? Sign me up!), hitting the beach more often, and sitting by our local pool, I’m also looking forward to taking a few day trips out of the city. Thankfully, there are a ton of great places to visit within an hour or two of the city. Here are my top picks!:
- Cheltenham Badlands: while walking over and across the badlands themselves is now prohibited, these clay/shale hills are still stunning…the next best thing to a trip to the desert.
- Bronte Creek Provincial Park: this large park just off the QEW features 5 hiking trails, a turn of the century farmhouse, farm animals, and playbarn for kids, and a 1.8 acre swimming pool.
- Bruce Trail hiking: this 890 km trail spans from Niagara to Tobermory. Numerous waterfalls in the Hamilton area make it a particularly great area to explore.
- Niagara wine tasting: with nearly 90 wineries in the Niagara region, it’s no wonder this remains a top destination for food and drink lovers. If you plan on making a weekend of touring the wineries and want to combine it with some cycling, GO Transit operates a bike train service through Labour Day weekend.
- Prince Edward County: the latest hot area to visit, there are ample wineries, B & Bs, antique shops and now, an outpost of Toronto’s Drake Hotel (reserve in advance for this one!). More of a weekend trip, but could be done in a day if you’re feeling ambitious!
- Scandinave Spa: treat yo’self to a relaxing spa experience: saunas, steam rooms, and cold plunge pools will wake you up AND relax you. Massages are also available for the full spa treatment.
Do you have a favourite getaway that I haven’t mentioned? Leave it in the comments below!